The 2022 Youth Leadership Debates are about giving your voice confidence and using your voice as an effective tool to transform Nigeria. The Youth Leadership Debate Competition aims to provide capacity building to selected young people from tertiary institutions, assisting them in critically evaluating information, advocating from a position of knowledge, and collectively shaping their vision for Nigeria, thus equipping them to be active citizens.
Higher education institutions play a key role in providing solutions to the economy’s numerous challenges and shaping the economy through cutting-edge research and innovative activities. As a result, universities should serve as a hub where young people receive holistic and robust support, engage in intellectual debates of national importance, and are empowered to solve socioeconomic issues. As a result, the goal of the Youth Leadership Debates competition is to provide capacity building to selected young people from tertiary institutions, assisting them in critically evaluating information, advocating from a position of knowledge, and collectively shaping their vision for Nigeria, thus equipping them to be active citizens. The programme will engage university and tertiary-level students across Nigeria’s six geopolitical zones through an online campaign and campus tour that will foster policy debates on key socioeconomic issues and inspire active youth participation in electoral and decision-making processes, particularly in light of the general elections in 2023. The debates will be centered around the theme #TheNigeriaWeWant.
1. NYFF Leadership Debate Competition Eligibility
2. NYFF Leadership Debate Competition Prizes
3. How to Apply for NYFF Leadership Debate Competition
NYFF Leadership Debate Competition Eligibility
- Open to young people in tertiary institutions across Nigeria;
- Debate entries should be focused on the following thematic areas:
- Employment and Education
- Media, Sport and Entertainment
- Peace building and Security
- ICT and Entrepreneurship
- Climate Change and Environment
- Civic participation
NYFF Leadership Debate Competition Prizes
- 1st prize: N1,500,000; a laptop for each member of the team + other benefits.
- 2nd prize: N1,000,000; tablets for each member of the team + other benefits.
- 3rd prize: N600,000; a phone for each member of the team + other benefits.
How to Apply for NYFF Leadership Debate Competition
- A team of 3 to 4 students from same tertiary institution apply by sending in a video of not more than 5 mins with 2 debaters addressing any socioeconomic issue from the 7 thematic areas.
- Video should be uploaded on any social media platform, and the link to the video should be provided on the application form.
- Evidence, such as course forms, of each team member enrolled in the institution would be required.
All entries should apply the parliamentary style of debate.
Nuggets for the Parliamentary Debate Style
- The Parliamentary Debate Style is quite distinct from the conventional style of debates adopted in Nigeria.
- Extensive research is required to convince the judges of the merits of your position.
- The initial salutations popular in the conventional style of debating are omitted in the Parliamentary style. Debaters are supposed to introduce themselves and continue with their motion.
- Debaters may request a Point of Information (POI) to contest or seek clarity for a statement made by a member of the opposing party
- For the purpose of the entry videos, applicants are encouraged to speak in anticipation of a rebuttal from an opposing party.
- In the parliamentary style, debating teams have the opportunity to present opening and closing arguments.